Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Friday, April 8, 2011: Happy Birthday to Me and More NERGC

Today is my birthday and what a wonderful way to celebrate by attending a genealogical conference!

Things start early today with Continental Breakfast which was in the registration packet as an extra item.  I opted for that instead of room service.  It was tasty and the coffee was good.

The lectures started at 8:30 am and go to noon then break and resume in the afternoon. This conference is split between the Sheraton where most of the lectures are held and the Marriott where the luncheons and banquets will be hosted?  So we are moving between the Sheraton and Marriott and it was tricky using the sky bridge so I opted out and just move from the lobby of the Sheraton to the lobby of the Marriott. 

NOTE:  For information about this conference just click on the NERGC logo on the upper right of my blog and it will take you to the website.

My first lecture was Irish Emigrants to North America etc. by Paul Milner.  I have attended other lectures by Mr. Milner in the past.  He specializes in British research and I liked his one on Scottish immigration. "Discovering Old-World Origins with U.S. Records," by David Oiumette, CG.  This talk was a good review of all the records you need to seek out and he had some interesting comments. 

There was a short break where I wandered the Exhibit Hall for awhile and then headed to the luncheon in the Marriott. The luncheon was sponsored by the Genealogical Society of Vermont.   The luncheon was being held on the 6th floor of the Marriott in the Grand Ballroom.  The only difficulty was getting down the elevator after a big gathering. 

Classes resumes at 3:15 pm and go to 5:45 pm and I opted for "Advanced Probate," by Michael Leclerc of the NEHGS. Michael is informative and funny. The message is that you really need to understand the law at the time of your ancestor.  I did not realize it but I had talked with the next individual at a past FGS (Federation of Genealogical Societies) about cemeteries and tombstones until she was almost done.  "Iconography of New England Gravestones," by Donna Walcovy, Ph.D.  I need to get back to her about cleaning a gravestone properly.  I enjoyed this lecture because I will be going into a lot of cemeteries on this trip and this should help me to understand a little of what I am viewing.  Last lecture for today. "Western Massachusetts Migration" again by Michael LeClerc.  Several of my lectures have covered the development of western Massachusetts because I wanted to understand it more in regards to why Philip Goss (IV) who went there.  Western Massachusetts is what is anything west of Worcester County. 

Social Hour is 6:00 to 7 pm followed by the banquet again at the Marriott.

The Banquet was at 7 pm and it was sponsored by the New England Historic Genealogical Society.  Paul Milner was to be the featured speaker.  I ordered the steak dinner and was thinking it would be a great way to celebrate my birthday but it was not that good.  It was still good company and a excellent day.  Facebook is a kick.  I had about six HAPPY Birthday wishes. 

Time to get ready to for bed and the next day.

No comments: