Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tuesday, April 12, 2011: Hardwick, East Brookfield, Sterling & Lancaster!

Breakfast was delicious once again at the Dragonfly Bed and Breakfast, my hosts are delightful.  I had quite a challenge packing the car because of the steep narrow steps in the Dragonfly.  I am afraid to fall.  Going down the stairs or an escalator I take very careful steps. Unfortunately, I think I left my jacket in the closet?  I cannot find it anywhere.  It took a little pondering to figure out what might have happened to it but I think that is where it is.  Hopefully they will retrieve it and ship it to my home?  I usually make a check and sweep of everything in a room before I go.  Oops!  I could have used the knit gloves the next couple days. Brrrr....

Gilbertville to Hardwick
Today I wanted to drive north to Hardwick about 20 minutes away.  This is where Keziah (Goss) and Zachariah Haskell married 20 July 1745. This Keziah was a daughter of Philip and Judith Goss.  Hardwick records are in the Town Hall of Gilbertville. 

Gilbertville - Public Library on left, Town Hall in Distance
There are other marriages and relationships that are very interesting.  There is a Peter and Sarah Gibbons that married there and their son Lemuel and Mary Goss married in Granville.  This Mary is a sister to Nathaniel, Solomon and Ebenezer Goss.  This means she is a daughter of Philip and Mary Kendall Goss.  Paul H. Goss' manuscript does not deal with this Mary Goss.  He thought it was a mistake but if you go to the written Granville records you see her birth.  Since my trip to Pennsylvania in 2008 (See Pennsylvania Wanderings under Blogs on the right) information has come my way via my cousin Ken Goss on this line and the connection to his family.  We have shared information and there is a book titled:

"A Turning of Hearts:  William Davidson Gibbons Family History," written by the William Davidson Family Organization, contributed and compiled by Helen Bay Gibbons, 1891.  This book is at the Family History Library #929.273 G352 and it discusses this line of the Goss family.  It is quite interesting. 

Find A Grave also has information about the burial of these two individuals:  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45465909  Mary remarried to a Santee and is buried in Granville, Ohio. 

Salem Cross Inn
I took Hwy 9 north and came upon the Salem Cross Inn.  The cattle were in the pen next to the driveway eyeing me.  Is that dinner I was looking at? There were some babies as well. I would have enjoyed chatting with the owners about the history of the inn.  Maybe the next trip?  According to the Salem Cross Inn website John White was a grandson to Peregrine White of the Mayflower and the brother of Resolved my ancestor.  Some information about this is given on the Salem Cross Inn website.  http://www.salemcrossinn.com/

The whole thing - Salem Cross Inn

Hmmm....Dinner?

Their Sign?
John Hayward Jr's Gristmill Sign Post
I passed the historical marker for John Hayward Jr.'s gristmill on the highway so I have confirmed that it is indeed in this area north of the Salem Cross Inn on the right by the white railing and I continued on up the road.  It was lovely country.  I made the sharp right turn to Gilbertville and found Hwy 32 and headed north.
See a previous post for this historical marker.

Gilbertville
I stopped at the Hardwick Grocery & Package Store and asked to use the facilities and they refused.  I then asked if they had ice and they said yes and then they let me use the facilities which were behind the purchase counter?  I decided I would also stock up with a bottle of wine.  One of the ladies had very wrinkled skin on her face and worn a baseball cap. She was very nice and helpful. The other was a Indian woman (India) with barely any teeth.  She just kept sitting on her stool and didn't move.  I was having trouble understanding her? It was an odd assortment.  The store was tidy and organized!

Gilbertville is long and the highway is pretty much were things are located on both sides.  The government buildings were first on the right as you went north.  The town library was a stately building after the church.  The hours are short so you do have to make sure you  check them before heading to them.

Village of Hardwick
I proceeded up the road on Hwy 32 and spotted the sign the Village of Hardwick.  Much to my amazement I found the most lovely town with a large village green and a cemetery next to the old town hall building! I need to learn more about this cemetery.  It didn't have a sign.  I suppose it is the Hardwick Cemetery or something like that. Find A Grave has a Hardwick Central Cemetery but it doesn't look like this little one next to the old courthouse. It appears to be up the road further north?

Hardwick Church

Hardwick's old town hall?

Center Cemetery in Hardwick

More of the Center Cemetery

I spotted the Paige Memorial Library just a little way beyond the village green.  Of course everything was closed but I knew that and now that I know more I can make some inquiries later. 

Paige Memorial Library, Hardwick
Much to my good fortune a nice man was walking along and he made a comment about taking my photo in from of the church and I responded how about in front of the cemetery?  His name was Dennis and he was from Florida and he was visiting his family.  What a happy spur of the moment!  See the photo above.

I wandered around taking photos and discovered that they have the Hardwick Historical Society right there in the center of the town. I do remember that they didn't have a website and I was running out of room in preparation for this trip.  So I will probably have to write or call them.  This means I cannot do a link to them.  I guarantee there is a building there with a lot of old items inside - yes I peered through the windows. It would be very easy and free if they set up a blog for their society.   


I wonder if they have a listing for the internments in the cemetery? I am looking for Zachariah Haskell who married Keziah Goss daughter of Philip (III) and Keziah Cooley.  No one seems to know where he is buried or if he died in Hardwick? For all I know Philip might even be buried there?  No record can be found on Philip Goss (III died 1742) son of Capt. Philip and Judith Goss.  I am still checking around!!

Zachariah Haskell had land in the area:  I found this in one of the history books.  Sorry, I was moving real fast to get ready for this trip and running out of time.  There is so much information to process and research  that I would like to do.  Here is the description it is to the east of the town: 

Zechariah the f. was a tailor, and resided about a hundred rods northerly from the turnpike on the road from Mandell Hill to Ruggles Hill. 

If my calculations are correct he was about 1/3 of a mile from the road.  Now what is the turnpike?  Anyone there know what they might be talking about? I have found the two hills.  I did drive down Barre Road for about a mile and it is lovely country and that road takes you between these two mountains.  Barre might not be the correct road?  Perhaps a deed or something or even a estate file might reveal something.  It is worth checking.  

The Quabbin Reservoir
Back in 1938 the Quabbin Reservoir was created.  In order to do this they had to flood up to 5 towns.  They also had to move the bodies buried in the cemeteries in the area something like 7561 burials were moved.  These burials were transferred to the Quabbin Park Cemetery west of Ware, Massachusetts.  The towns affected were Dana, Enfield, Greenwich and Prescott:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quabbin_Reservoir 

I have not had much success finding any ancestors of mine in this cemetery which is at Find A Grave. It is probably not a complete listing.  The Pittsfield Athenaeum is supposed to have microfiche and more details.  I was so tempted to visit this cemetery but decided not to this time.  It is west past Ware.

Book:  Quabbin - A History and Explorers Guide, Michael Tougias, On Cape Publications, 2002.  The first part of the book covers the history of the reservoir, removing the people and more.  On page 19 he discusses the removing of the 7561 burials to the Quabbin Park Cemetery.  He states that 6551 went to this cemetery and the rest went to others as decided by the families. Many burials were unmarked and 500 potter field interments were moved.  Apparently they took great care in the removals.  Also there are remnants of the former towns that you can spot above the water line?  I have not had time to review this book but I have to admit I am fascinated.  Friends of Quabbin:  http://www.foquabbin.org/ or just Google it and you will get a lot of hits to explore.

Goss Garrison, West Brookfield
I made my way back to West Brookfield and went in search of the Goss Garrison.  Dick from the West Brookfield Historical Commission had shown me a house but I am not really sure that is the location?  I was so interested in what a garrison looked like I did not focus...oops!  There is no plaque for the Goss Garrison it is shown on the maps at the corner of Snow and Cutler Roads along the Old Hadley Path which is a named road on the map in that area.  There is a house down the road a little way on Cutler.  Dick might dispute this all with me and that is okay!

Mini Horses mom and baby!


More mini horses

Cutler & Snow Intersection

 
Looking South

If you use the Salem Cross Inn as a marker you need to turn right onto Snow Road which is before the Salem Cross Inn.  It reads Oak St. on the left side of the road.  Be advised that road signs may or may not be there?

At this time the area were the garrison was located is devoted to a beautifully kept mini-horse farm.  The little babies were frolicking in the field with their mothers.  A older lady and probably a grandson were observing them.

After studying the area and the map which I have a nice copy from the West Brookfield Historical Commission.  If this is the correct area for the Goss Garrison, it is definitely a high point and you can see far to the south and around easily.  So it is a strategic location and I am on a quest to find a photograph or rendering of what a "fortified garrison" house might look like.  So far I find all kinds of interesting information when I Google but no visual aid to give an idea of what it might have looked like.  I have seen these types of depictions before in the history books.  There is a picture of a 1720 Garrison House in the Olde Houses of Quaboag Plantation published 9/17/1960 - approximately on page 20 and after the map.  It is huge and much bigger than I imagined.  According to the description "he used 8x12 hand-hewn timbers on all outside walls and in the center of each room." "In the large fireplace foundation in the cellar, which is 15x20 feet in dimension, there is an opening through which a tunnel could be entered allowing the occupants of the house to exit about a quarter mile away, if necessary, in the event of an Indian attack.  I will keep digging for a older version.

The Dragonfly B&B is also listed in this booklet on the Olde houses before the Garrison house.  It was originally the Austin Phelps home and was painted white. 

Source:  Map: Historical Sites 1660 thru late 19th Century, Great Brookfield 1701 Boundaries.

This map is large and has a coded sheet that accompanies it.  It was about $10.00.  This map is similar to the one on the West Brookfield Historical Commission's website that I have listed to the right in the links section. That online map is smaller and more difficult to get precise.  I think this bigger map is easier to interpret. 

I proceeded down Cutler to what is the road sign for the Old Hadley Path to see what it was like.  It is mostly residential now.  This street version is only a short length and the actual path seemed to follow along other streets and head west.  The new roads make it hard to identify the old paths. 

West Brookfield, MA
The village green for West Brookfield is huge.  I parked near the church and wandered around a little.  I think I am in love with West Brookfield.  It is a lovely town. 


Historical Marker for West Brookfield


Fountain in the West Brookfield Village Green


The Church at the west end of the village green for West Brookfield

The House on the hwy south of the village green West Brookfield

Old Indian Cemetery - Again!!!!
I try to visit a cemetery were an ancestor is buried as much as I can on a research trip.  This was no exception.  One more visit to the Old Indian Cemetery to say goodbye to Philip and Judith Goss. Hopefully this photograph is a lot better than the other one that I posted earlier. 

Old Indian Cemetery, West Brookfield, MA



Philip Goss & Judith

Footstone - Philip Goss and Judith

Foster Hill Historic District Next was to revisit the Foster Hill Road Historical area.  I spotted the sign post for Foster Hill.  I have a map on foam board from the Quaboag Historical Society ($15.00) of this first settlement. 

"The Quaboag Plantation August 1675 - The Town Plot 500 acres of land. The original 16 plots & owners of land as described in John Pynchon's records of the Quaboag Plantation Land grants, located at the Springfield Library in Springfield, MA (1665-1673)." 2007. The surname Pynchon is pronounced Pinchon like in pinch someone. 

Names on the Quaboag Map
Thomas Hovey
James Hovey,
Daniel Hovey
Judah Trumble
James Travis,
William Prichard
Captain John Ayres
Thomas Millet
Thomas Wilson
Rev. John Younglove
Samuel Warner
Samuel Kent
John Warner, Sr.
Thomas Parsons
Richard Coy, Jr.

This covers the first settlement up to 1675 when it was destroyed.  They call it the Quaboag Plantation.  Last year they celebrated the 300th Year of this settlement.  I have a program brochure from the Historical Society and it looks like it was quite the celebration.


Here is the plaque commemorating Judge Jediah Foster.

I also found the plaque for the cemetery which is 120 rods following the line of the trees. Apparently they had it marked for the celebration and you could walk back there.  I did not attempt it at this time.  There are no tombstones there and they do not know who is buried there. 


In New England the tradition was to bury the dead next to the meeting house.  Eventually that would stop and they would move to a larger area. 

This first settlement was located before 1675.  That date is the year of King Philip's War and that was when the settlement was attacked and destroyed.  They did not come back for 10-12 years to reestablish.  The area is very well documented on the West Brookfield Historical Commission website see the links to the right. They have a map showing where the various events took place so you can do more exploring.  These two plaques were all that I obtained at this time.  There is a lot more to do. 

This settlement is a little too early for my purposes but it does set the stage for Philip Goss (I) who purchased the "Night's Pasture Estate" from the Rowlandson's in Lancaster.  In this same war Mary Rowlandson was captured and taken by the Indians and eventually returned.  She wrote about it.  I will discuss this later when I get to Lancaster.  Similar events took place in Brookfield as well. 

His son Philip Goss (II) would come to Brookfield and settle. This purchase took place in 1687 so that means Philip Goss (I) has migrated to Lancaster from Roxbury about that time.  I have been told by an authority that Roxbury is not a place you want to go wandering around in.  Brookline is much better.  What I am referring to is the Muddy River and this person knew that term. 

East Brookfield, MA
There was one more Brookfield to explore and a last stop is East Brookfield with a view of Lake Lashaway.  No time for a stop at E.B. Flatts for food.  I headed east on Hwy 9 and arrived in East Brookfield in no time.  I found the village center and located the municipal building.  I am not sure that is their current town hall.  I think that is on another street?

I did a little exploring and went for a walk.  The road goes really close to Lake Lashaway which is a good sized lake.  I imagine that in the summer this is a busy place.  It already was a busy place with cars and big trucks swishing by.  I didn't dare cross the road for fear of getting hit!  There was a house on the lakeside that had an odd assortment of junk stuffed in this small area.

Town Center, Municipal Building in the background

Lake Lashaway

A Collector by the lake!

My time in the Brookfields has ended.  Sigh!!!  I did not visit New Braintree (actually went through a little jog of it to Hardwick) or Warren which are consider part of the 5 towns of the Brookfields.  Maybe next time. I am told Warren has a good library.

My touring of the area has proven to me that Philip Goss and Judith lived in what is now West Brookfield but back then it was a part of Brookfield.  They lived up on Hwy 9 about where the Salem Cross Inn is located to the east along the Old Hadley Path where Philip had lots of land.  I will be studying the land records and see what I can find.  The Registry of Deeds for Worcester County is in Worcester (pronounced Wuster and it is not the sauce).  They are also on film at the Family History Library.  A researcher by the name of Elbert Garrett Goss did some work back a few years and he has some of the old deeds in his manuscript that are rather interesting to read.  He descended from John Goss and Mary Woods.  John Goss was the son of Philip Goss I of Roxbury and Mary Prescott grand daughter of John Prescott the founder of Lancaster.  It has been digitized by the Family History Library.  He has several titles there I am referring to this manuscript:  "Descendants of Philip Goss of Lancaster."

Heading for Lancaster, Massachusetts
My next goal is Lancaster, Massachusetts where the man who started it all is buried:  Philip Goss of Roxbury and Muddy River ca 1654 to 1698, my 8th great grandfather.  The Goss line stops with him until someone figures out who is parents were? No it is not John Gosse of Watertown.  He died before this Philip was born. John could be a grandfather, an uncle or Philip being a mariner just came from England on his own?  A fellow PS-APG member told me that he was having trouble with an ancestor that just appears in the records and then from there you can track him.  The problem is knowing when they actually set foot on this continent.  It was considered English soil so why keep records of the crossing by ship? 

My plan is to go to Boston in the future for another visit to the New England Historic Genealogical Society and dig deeper into the old records on the family of Goss, Kendall and more. I will visit other major repositories in the Boston area and then head for Concord, Groton, and down to Worcester to do more research. I will probably not be able to resist revisiting Lancaster and West Brookfield.  We will see.  It is a whole trip all of itself.  It was not an easy choice for Worcester is so close and I did drive through the west side of it on my way to Lancaster!!!!

I traveled on Hwy 9 which took me through Spencer, over to Leicester, and skirting the west side of Worcester onto Hwy 12 and West Boylston north across the bridge to Sterling and Lancaster. Worcester is a big city and busy but I found my way through her just fine.  They have nice big parks in this area of the city. Massachusetts does pretty good with the Highway signs but the street signs are not so great.  I was finding that they would list the cross streets but not give the street you are on doing that at the beginning and then the end?  Some how I was lucky and was managing not to get lost as I negotiated my way through Worcester.

Sterling, Massachusetts
Sterling was once part of Lancaster but it separated off.  Actually Lancaster was divided up and several towns split off:  Sterling, Harvard, Stow, Bolton, Hudson, Marlborough, Leominster (pronounced Lemonster or something like that), Clinton, Berlin, and Boylston.

I crossed a bridge to another part of West Boylston that lead into Sterling.  I was soon in Sterling and it is very compact.  Everything is right there with the village green right in the middle in a wedge shape.  I spotted the Conant Public Library and the Town Hall.  You could park the car and just walk to what you needed.  I have on good authority that the Sterling library is a good resource.  The link: http://sterlinglibrary.org/conant/


Conant Public Library, Sterling, MA



Sterling Town Hall

Sterling Municipal Building
Chocksett Cemetery in Sterling, MA
Moving further north up the highway, I went to the right and I did not go onto Hwy 12.  I believe it is called Redstone Hill Rd? I came upon the Chocksett Cemetery.  The entryway from the highway was very tight and I managed to squish the car into it without scrapping anything.  There isn't a paved road through this cemetery only a dirt road with a railing on the side because it is very close to the cliff.  I discovered there was another entrance on the south side which was much bigger and more room to park probably on Bridge Street?  I believe Find A Grave has a listing of this cemetery.

I started at the west end and read the gravestones going to the east.  I discovered Kendalls and Goss names.  I took lots of pictures which I will posted when I return from this trip. These are only a few.


The very tight entry way on the west side


More Chocksett Cemetery














There is a website devoted to the Kendalls that I will add to my links section where you can get more tombstone photos and information about the Kendall family. 

Also and article about the polydactyl trait in the Kendall family. http://www.newenglandkendalls.com/whatsnew.html.  There is actually a great deal of information on the Kendall family if you just Google it! 

There actually is a hill behind this cemetery called Kendall Hill and there is a Kendall Hill Road. I did not have time to drive it and find it.  I do know it is there. 

Lancaster, Massachusetts - At Last!!!!
I went in search of the Lancaster public library but missed it and had to turn back.  I was getting conflicting information on my maps as to its location.  So mistakes do happen.  I did find it right next to the Town Hall and the church.  Now I need to learn how to park properly.  Apparently there was some confusion on my part but the Special Collections is not open till Wednesday night so I will have to return. I thought I had made an appointment with the archivist but I guess it was for tomorrow night!  I was very tired by the time I got to Lancaster and hungry.  So I opted to go to the bed and breakfast and get settled in. 



Thayer Memorial Library in Lancaster, MA

Lancaster Courthouse

The Church on the Court Square, library to the right
Parking is on the north side of the library.  I found the street on the north side of the church called Harvard and turned right as I came from the south onto it and found the parking area.  There is a walk way through to the library and courthouse.  Much better than the 6 slots in front of the library. 

I had lodging at the College Town Inn on Center Bridge Road which crosses the Nashua River and at High St.  It is a bit of a dicey intersection but I am learning when I can go and not go.  I was greeted by the proprietors and they were very friendly and helpful.  I got a map!!  He suggested an Italian Restaurant in downtown Clinton called the Via Alto 27 and it was a very nice dinner.  Clinton is an industrial town something to do with plastics for the pharmaceuticals?  It was a lot bigger than I expected.  The area were the restaurant was had brick buildings close together and shops one after another. 

Old Common Burial Cemetery on Old Common Road
The rest of the evening was spent walking around the Old Common Burial Cemetery on Old Common Road just about 1/2 a block from the College Town Inn.  I took photos and did a video of this cemetery.  I was looking for cousins.  Descendants of John and Mary Goss and they are there in an area with a cement outline in a rectangular position.  I will upload again when I return to my home.  This cemetery is in need of help.  I think it is in need of some care.  I hope someone is looking out for it.  I see tree limbs, broken stones, leaning stones and more.  So far the Goss area is in good shape but I think there are more stones buried in the ground. 

Old Common Burial Field, Lancaster, MA

More Old Common Burial Field, Lancaster, MA

I have more photos and will upload them later when I return home.  The photos you see are of the tombstones for the Goss family.  Find A Grave also has a listing of this cemetery on Old Common Road near the 5 corner intersection.
  • James Goss 1797 to 1800 son of John Goss and Mary Whitcomb Fuller
  • John Goss, Jr. 1804-1828 son of John Goss and Mary Whitcomb Fuller
  • John Goss 1770 to 1843 the father son of Joseph Goss and Sarah Wilder
  • John Goss 1802 to 1803 son of John Goss and Mary Whitcomb Fuller
  • Joseph Goss 1799 to 1801 son of John and Mary Whitcomb Fuller
  • Mary W. Goss unknown d. Mar 4, 1852 the mother - do have her lineage at this time.
These are descendants of John Goss and Mary Woods 1/2 brother to Philip Goss II. 

I was exhausted so I returned to the B&B which was just a short walk.  I settled in for the night doing my chores and trying to get another post up and not allowing myself to get to far behind.  Blogspot is not cooperating...grrrr.  If you find editing errors please be patient.  I think I will do a review when I return home and update the posts for I can only get so much done as I travel. 

Time for bed.

College Town Bed & Breakfast, Lancaster, MA
Additional Sources:  Quaboag Planation alias Brookefeild, by Louis E. Roy, MD (mostly historical background of the first settlement) and History of East Brookfield, Massachusetts 1686-1970 also by Louis E. Roy.  I purchased this compilation at the Quaboag Historical Society Museum for a hefty price but I like to show support to the societies and archives that are in the areas of my ancestors. The North Brookfield history book by Temple and Adams has a great deal of information in it on our family.  I believe these books are at Google books, Internet Archive etc.

2 comments:

cap624 said...

Of the list of towns that were are listed as having been spawned from Lancaster (Sterling, Harvard, Stow, Bolton, Hudson, Marlborough, Leominster, Clinton, Berlin, and Boylston), three towns were incorrect: Stow, Hudson, Marlborough. These towns were never part of Lancaster. wikipedia has a different list, and that's wrong, too.

Bonnie said...

Cap624 thanks for this information. I am aware of Wikipedia not always being correct. This is great, glad you stopped by.