Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

The DAR Library in Washington DC - Revisiting the First Visit!

Like I said, if you have any ancestor that could have been involved in the American Revolution you need to go and look at the DAR holdings either online at their website or go and visit.  I suggest both if you can!

www.dar.org

I have DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and Mayflower in my line but I have yet to apply.  I plan to do this in the next six months.  I am finally ready.  We all have to get to a certain place when we feel it is time.  Well the time has come, but first I want to travel to Ohio again and see if I cannot find out more on the Goss family.

My first experience with the DAR was back in 2000 when I was very green in genealogy.  I just sat there in awe the first time...all those books!  I dangled my feet off the chair and knew that I was on a path of learning all I could about my ancestors.  When I say I was green, well, I didn't even know what the Patriot Index was? 

I was looking at the research of my Aunt Miriam and she suggested the following names:  Keller and Delano.  She did not include "Goss."  I was too knew in the research to know anything about these other surnames names so I decided to look at the "Goss" name.  Well that was an historical day for me. 

The librarian explained to me about the DAR Patriot Index and of course I studied the names and decided on the Philip Goss file.  Well this librarian brought me the Philip Goss file and the Goss file. He handed it to me, this tall man, and said "You probably want to see this too."  When my order came he had me move upfront to a table to look at the information. They now have a lot of information online at their website and in the Seimes Computer Lab at the DAR Library.

So I sat at the table and looked through the files and found all kinds of interesting documents and of course I copied just about everything.  I found documents from a Flora Montanye Osborn, someone named Wingert and a Paul H. Goss??? 

When I returned home I started to study these documents in detail and low and behold the connection to Mayflower was revealed to me in a manuscript written by Paul H. Goss. 

The connection was:  Judith Hayward Goss (wife of Philip Goss II) was the daughter of Anna Hayward who married John Hayward and was the daughter of Resolved White and Judith Vassall.  Resolved was the son of William White and Susanna of the Mayflower.  Remember I visited Philip Goss and Judith Goss's graves in the Old Indian Cemetery in West Brookfield, MA in previous posts on this blog.

My Aunt Miriam and my father said there was Mayflower in the family line.  Since then I have been on this quest for more Goss family history using and collecting Paul's manuscripts, Flora's leads and other research leads. 

Philip Goss IV and his son Solomon Goss are in the DAR Patriot Index and I was able to pull some applications the last time I visited to see what  sources these individuals used.  I discovered that Flora came into DAR through her other family line and put her daughter through on the Goss line.

Now that I know more I can also study the Delano line which starts with Mary Delano Keller whose daughter Elizabeth married Daniel D. Spracklin.  Mary's father was Stephen Delano and her mother was Lovina Smith.  Stephen's father was Stephen Delano and he married Mary Shaw.  The last time I was at the DAR I was able to pull the only DAR application for Stephen Delano who married Mary Shaw.  This line goes back to Philippe Delano (de lay Noye) of the Fortune. 

The DAR Constitution Hall

Our Nations Capitol - Several years ago
The Keller line is still a mystery.  No one yet knows who the parents of John Keller, Mary Delano Kellers husband are.  Maybe when I visit Ohio in August, I can find a small tidbit that will open that door? 

No comments: